Friday, August 5, 2011

Chemo Cancelled...... See Below

This roller coaster ride goes up and it seems to come back down.  Every week before chemo they draw my blood to check how my body is reacting to the chemo.  They check white blood cell counts, hemoglobin, and platelets, being cautious.  Last week my platelet count was 148, with a normal being 150-450 and anything over 100 is ok to receive chemo.  Today the the blood draw showed my platelets had dropped to 76 and because of that they cancelled the chemo to give the body time to rebuild the platelets.  (  low platelet counts increase the chance of bleeding. )

I was assured that this was not considered any kind of setback, just that we need to re-adjust the dosages and amount of chemo that I am receiving.  So NO chemo today, and next week is a off week.  So in 2 weeks we will see the Oncologist @ 9 am and then off to 6 hours of chemo with adjustments.

So although it not a setback, it's like you mentally prepare and then are left "  all dressed up and no place to go "

So the wife and I went to Chili's and I had a plate of their Classic Nachos, she had soup and salad.  Very good, and we felt better.

I think I will take a quick nap to settle the food, and then head to the gym for a run.

Thanks for the prayers, God Bless you all, Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment