Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 19 of Training for Mini

It's HoTT-hot in Indiana.  Started my walk/run today @ 8:30, temp. was 82, ended @ 85.  Supposed to be close to 90 for next 7 days.

Take water and drink it, that is the tip of the day.  Even if you don't feel thirsty, drink it anyways.  The key is not to wait till your thirsty, then it's too late.  Sweating is your body's way of dealing with and shedding the heat from within, if you avoid drinking you are setting yourself up for dehydration.
When and if you ever jog, run a race of any length they will provide water along the route.  Depending on the temperature, weather; you should have water every mile or every 2 miles.  Obviously if it is 10 degrees and the water is freezing, you may not have water, and you probably won't be sweating.

Over the weekend on my 2 days off, I forgot I was going to have to walk home from the Race track, about 1.5 miles.My sister drove us to within 2 blocks of our seats, but the traffic is way too bad for her to pick us up.  Thanks, sis.  So I did get some walking in, but I'm not counting it towards any kind of workout.

Today, I jogged about 1.5 miles, and walked .25.  Did just fine, but now I need to work on my breathing.  All this time I've been concentrating on the legs, joints, etc.  But I now need to get the breathing together.  How you say? And shouldn't it be automatic.  Yes, it is automatic, but you can get your breathing in a rhythm that will put you in a zone that makes the running 100 % better and automatically faster.  Once again trust me on this.

More later for now I will say, exhale deeply all at once, then slowly take a breath allowing your lungs to fill, then exhale again.  It may seem very odd at first, but with practice it will become second nature. This breathing is for when you are jogging/running, not when you are sitting in the recliner. You don't want to be panting the whole way.  More later, sheesh, somehow I have to keep you coming back.

Talk about the mystery women, today there was a whole pack of them.  Not sure what I got into, but it was perhaps a beginning running club or group of some sort.  As I approached the park I saw this group walking and then together as a group they started a jog about 1/2 way around the park.  I passed them as they stopped to stretch and don't know what happened after that.  As it was about 1 hour earlier than I normally run, I may not see them for a week.

So the plot thickens.  God Bless, see you tomorrow, Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment