Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 17 of Training

Cool 53 degrees and cloudy, great jog.  I didn't take any water, ran in a t-shirt, felt the goose bumps but it was very nice.  Jogged a complete 1.3 miles, got into my breathing ( that keeps me from  panting like a dog ), felt like a good even pace, but not pushing it too much.  May just walk tomorrow, then I'm taking 2 days off.  Sunday and Monday.

Why?  You Ask.  My son and I got tickets to the Indy 500, The Centennial race.  I know it is the only one I will see ( Centennial ) and he has never been that I know of.  We go to the Brickyard every year, but that has become tradition with the men of the family, about 9 of us now.

So next week, thinking I will move my jogging distance up to the whole 1.7 on a couple of days, with lower miles in between, maybe no walking except for cool down.

Maybe I should mention, stretching and cool down.  What I do.  For these training jogs and runs, I do not stretch ahead of the run.  I believe I start out slow enough to feel my body's strengths and weakness that I'm ok.  Most people stretch after their runs when the muscles are warmed up and more pliable.  After the run, I always walk at least 4 blocks, down and back, to stretch my legs, ankles, etc.  using exaggerated strides to really pull and push the ligaments around the joints.

Now, if it is a race, I will defiantly stretch before hand, and I will jog slowly 1/4 mile or whatever before the race.  Because now you're in a race and your going to be starting out much quicker.  We'll talk about this more, but do not be a rabbit and start the race with sprinting to get to that first mile marker.  You will be sorry big time. As you will be out of wind, out of energy and in general feel like crap and even wonder if you can finish.  I've been there and done that, Trust me.  And you will after you forget my words and find out yourself.

See you tomorrow, God Bless, Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment