Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 4 of Training

Well, this is a bummer, I had nice comments posted on Days 2 and 3 and the blog system has been down for at least 14 hours and I guess those last 2 posts have been lost. Maybe they will just reappear in time, yeah, right..................

In case they do I will just continue with Day 4.

I'm still walking, have increased the distance to 1.5 miles, still stretching the legs and ankles, working in the shoes with no socks, getting the feet used to rubbing on the insides of the shoes so that blisters will not appear later when running... talk about a bummer. Last year I was running with socks and one day decided to try no socks again. Well, a 2.5 mile run went just fine. The next day I was running for 4 miles and got about 10 blocks and could feel 2 blisters forming on the back of my heals. After about 1/4 mile I stopped dead and took off both shoes and walked back home carrying my shoes, trying to walk in the grass, cause these bare feet have not seen concrete in 40 years. I'm sure that was a sight to see. I got home, put on socks and 2 band aids and then began and finished that 4 mile run. So hopefully, I'm not too old to learn from past mistakes.

The above lesson, also true when buying a new pair of running shoes, break them in, before running a race. I have been known to run 2 miles in the old shoes on a loop route back to the house, and then changing into the new shoes to run 1 mile in them, as a way to break in the new shoes. Trust me on this, read my lips, break in those new shoes before the big race day.

The above note about returning to the house, I will repeat from day 3 posting. I am the type of runner that walks out the front door and begins his run. I can't see driving somewhere else and then running. I have routes of different distances mapped out right from my front door, like 1 mile, 2.5 miles, 4 miles, and 4.5 miles. If I need to run 9 miles later in this training for the mini, I can just double run the 4.5 mile loop.

So I'm about done today, if you're starting or beginning again, go slow, don't risk injury that will sideline you after just starting, because you may not start back up.

God bless, Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment