Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 10

Another day, another outing. But, the Sun was out it felt great, the temperature was in the 60's and heading higher. Walked and ran 1.7 miles. Ok, jogged about 1/2 mile, new shoes, no socks all is fine on the break in period. I know one thing my water bottle is too heavy for any long runs. It is a Wal-Mart cheaper but made from hard plastic with a goofy lid, I guess the thickness of the plastic is supposed to keep your coolant cooler for a longer period of time. I'm on the look out for one of the even cheaper plastic give-a ways at home shows, and booths at Expo's, I don't even know if you can buy them.

I say I jogged 1/2 mile, that's a guess, it really is not important at this point. Nor is time spent on the activity. I'm going through a slow process that I call "base building". I can't and shouldn't and neither should you go and enter a 5K race in the next 30 days. You're setting yourself up for injury and time away from training. Remember this is a loooonnnnnngggg journey. And during these early times out I do not even think of starting the stop watch on my wrist watch to time myself. All it does it make you want to run faster than you should. You constantly want to look down and take a peek at the watch to see how your doing, and guess what, you automatically pick up the pace. All in good time.

You will be the first to know when I start thinking about running a race and the results expected. And then I will tell you about past races/times that would become a goal. I will say that I last started up running in Oct. of 09, and I ran a 5K on Jan 1,10. You know, one of those "Race into the New Year" things, and in Indiana the temperature was 2 degrees with a wind chill - 15. But I was there and I didn't let the weather dictate my participation. My next race was a 5 miler on Feb 20th and the temperature was in high 20's to low 30's.

This race meant alot to me because it was the first time I ran a race with a friend. I'll call him John, cause that's his name, we wrestled together in High School ( we were on the High School Wrestling team, get your mind out of the gutter ). Of course, in life you go different ways and life takes it's course, but over the years we have maintained a loose connection. Occasionally seeing each other @ Reunions, etc. Now, I train by myself, I have always run races by myself, I've never found anyone of the same speed, and time frame to actually train together. Guess, I'm an introverted loser :-).

Anyways, John has run in many Marathon's, yes, 26.2 miles, in fact he is on a mission to run a Marathon in all 50 states. So, he contacted me and we ran the 5 mile race together, side by side and talking some of the way, and yes he stayed with me. I knew he could run faster and was in much better shape, so about 1/2 mile from the finish line I told him to go ahead if he wanted to hit a certain time. Well, he did, so obviously he beat me by about 30 seconds. Never again, I'll tell you. He lives out of state, but I talked to him and if God and schedules allows it we will run the Mini next May together again. My only goal is to run him in the ground, hahahahahaha, John, just kidding.

I can't believe I'm becoming a chatty Cathy on this blog. One of these days I will figure out how to post some pics.

No mystery woman today, still looking for reality here.

God bless, Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment