Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day Three

It was a little cooler today, and I increased the length to 1.5 miles. Actually wore some kind of athletic shorts, I think they were swimming trunks as the only pocket was the little key pocket sewn inside the waistband. Took only a key to get back in the house and my water. So I'm no longer carrying a cell phone, my reading glasses on my head, billfold, etc. Down to the basics.

I should say that I'm the type of runner that steps outside and starts at the curb. I just never saw the value in driving the car to someplace else to start the run. I have different routes mapped out for different distances. For instance, a route for 1 mile, 2.5 miles, 4 miles, and 4.5 miles. I live in a small town and I don't normally have a problem with automobiles as I do run in the street facing traffic and right at the edge. When actually running I don't want to have to jump curbs, watch for large cracks in the sidewalks, I just want to concentrate on the steps. Also when running actual Road Races, ex. 5K's, 10K's, etc. they are always run in the streets. So again I try to simulate actual racing with my training, ie. get my legs used to running with the slope of the roadway. Most all roads are made to be higher in the middle so the rain water will run off to the road edge. So you are running with your left foot slightly lower than your right foot. Yes, I think it makes a difference.

Yesterday I said we could talk about LSD, but I've changed my mind for now, you'll understand later.

I should say that I see the progression of running as follows. You can walk at a comfortable pace, and then you can speed walk. Next you can jog, and then you can really run ( at this point I'm talking a pace of around 9 minutes a mile speed. Then you can speed it up to actual racing for the road race. I would also say that I'm old school and when I run a race my goal is to run the race, I don't stop and walk any of it, lot's of people do and that's fine, it's just not me. I'm running the race and I will run the race.

During training runs the problem I have is my body is 64 but my mind thinks it is still in my 30's. And what happens is that when I start to run it just feels good and comfortable. And of course I want to run a little farther and faster than I should be running. So I have to be very conscious of that because another problem that runners have is... Too Far Too Fast syndrome. Rule of thumb in all the running publications is only increase your distance 10% per week. So in other words .... if you were to be running 1 mile a day x 5 days in a week = 5 miles, the next week you should only increase your total weekly mileage up to around 5.5 miles. Don't go from running 5 miles a week to running 9 miles, to running 13 miles in just a 2 week period, trust me your courting trouble. Been there, done that.

That's why right now this walking is killing me mentally, but I have a whole year to get it right, and I'm not interested in sitting down for a month to let an injury heal. So this is important, as you will find 1 way or another, take your time and enjoy the run.

Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment