Sunday, November 13, 2011

Now...The real story

Sorry it took me awhile to get my thoughts together, but here it goes.  As you know the CT scans reviled tumor shrinkage, the right side of my liver had what they call satellite tumors ( small tumors, maybe the size of big marbles ) when we started down this journey.  They can not be seen on the current scan, but that does not mean they are gone, just that the technology doesn't show them.  They most likely are still there even the size of the head of ball point pen.  The left lobe still showed a tumor, but much smaller than the original one.  We looked at both scans, the one taken in June and the one taken on 11/9.  I told him I was from the Show me state of Missouri.  So the chemo is working, but I still have cancer and probably always will.  But as I stated in the quick update, in only 40% of this type of cancer does the chemo even work.  So I guess we have bought more time on this earth.  Perhaps something new will be discovered to treat this cancer.

Also my blood work is good and the liver is functioning properly and we're talking about the Chemo pump again.  The Oncologist and the Surgeon are going to put there heads together and discuss options.  Including the one that says..."this seems to be working fine why change it?"  If we go for the pump it would be after the first of the year.  We're talking about a 4 hour operation, 6-8 weeks of recovery. 2 incisions would be made in my abdomen, and a 4 oz. pump would be placed in the left side and then connected via a tube to the liver.  Basically I would have port, the size of a hockey puck, that they would fill with chemo that would last 2 weeks.  Then that would be pumped for that 2 week period directly into the liver.  Then a visit to IU for removal of leftover chemo fluid and put new in.  The chemo would have no affect on my body, because we are only killing stuff in the liver, and not over the entire body like is being done presently.

And or course in some people the pumps works great others, just so,so.  So can they provide any evidence of the success rate for all this pain and recovery?

But that is in the future, today is today.  I'm feeling fine and dandy.  Going to watch the Colts till they fall behind 14 to nothing, then see what else is on TV.

Thanks for all your prayers and thoughts, we don't know God's timetable for answering prayers, he also talks of patience.

God bless, Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment