Saturday, January 21, 2012

Chemo went OK yesterday

Yes, just OK.  My blood work showed low numbers in immunity again, RBC, WBC and Neutrophils were all low.  Neutrophils were only 1.2 and barely allowed me to have chemo.  Platelets were down to 111.  We went ahead with it, but I felt sluggish the whole day. 

We didn't start until 1:30 and that was late in itself.  Drew the blood and then after the results it took forever for the actual chemo drugs to arrive.   They are kept under lock and key in another part of the building and must be requisitioned and then delivered.  Before they are given to any patient, 2 nurses bring to that patient and 1 nurse asked the patient their name and birth date.  Both confirm the information is correct.  Then one nurse reads the patient info and patient number aloud, to be confirmed by the other nurse.  I guess we don't want any wrong medicine being disbursed to the wrong patient.  Then the procedure can begin.

I get 1 Drip bag of Saline to start the procedure that takes about 1 hour.  Then Chemo 1 and after it Chemo 2.  Then another bag  of Saline.  The saline is to flush the body and primarily the kidneys as this chemo recipe is hard on the kidneys.  The whole thing takes about 4 hours, on Friday we didn't get out of the hospital til around 5:45.  I had been wrapped up in 2 blankets, and pulled my stocking hat down over my eyes and slept for about 1 hour.  For some reason I felt zapped.

Then we ran into icy roads on the way home.  Crawled into bed and stayed there until this morning.  Of course I had to visit the john every now and then during that period.  My wife brought me a homemade milkshake at 10 PM, which tasted very good, but then I was freezing again.  I had asked for the shake, my wife didn't cause the problem.  [ I have to explain everything so I don't get any feedback  :-)  ]

Any ways, I'm up now and going to try and do something today.  Let my body heal itself once again.

She's up now, so we will have breakfast and then I will start deicing the sidewalk and the car.

Thanks for all the prayers and positive thoughts, God Bless you all, Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment