Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Balloons - Day 2, Where was the wife?????

So you want to know where my wife was while I seemed to be out running with the women under the guise of a balloon business.  It's all innocent and what needed to be done to make a business successful.

When we started the business in out garage in Lebanon we were both working full time jobs.  This was in 1982, and in September of 1983 I decided I wanted to work with a million people in Indpls, instead of 14,000 in Lebanon.  So I quit my job and went full time as Captain Balloon.  We marketed it as " call the Captain " for your balloon needs.  Kind of following the marketing of " Call the Culligan Man ".  That was how I became Captain, most people in Indy didn't know my name and it was a lot of fun playing that mystery game with them.

My wife kept her full time job and had the medical insurance, you can't live without that.  Also our children were in middle school and then high school.  They were very active in the marching bands, and especially in the fall there were marching contests every week end.  So guess who went with the kids, you're right, my wife.

As the business grew, there were a lot of events on the week ends and I obviously needed help to get the work done.  So now you know more about why these women, young women at the time, were helping me.  Also since I was  doing the hiring, it didn't take much to think of who I would rather work with, man or woman?????  Kind of a no brainier.  It worked out great for all concerned.

I'm still married after 43 years going on 44, if she doesn't get on my nerves by June 1.  As the kids got older they both helped in the business when needed.  It was just fun, it was different.  Not the boring life of working in retail or fast food.

My wife just called not liking this post so much.  She wanted to remind me that she also helped in the business, and she did.  I reminded her about the wedding anniversary coming and the getting on my nerves thingy.      Added after a phone call, and under duress.  She threatened to pull my fingernails.

So now you know the rest of the story.

Thanks for all you do, God Bless, Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment